Friday, July 16, 2010

Tambo Fried Rice

Beef Fried Rice
My honey loves fried rice, and it's super easy to make, and super cheap too. :)

Cooked rice - about 3 - 4 cups
Peanut oil (canola works too)
A bit of leftover or fresh meat, chopped (pork, chicken, beef, etc. I've even used bacon)
1 onion, chopped
Minced/pressed garlic (a clove or two)
Other fresh things, chopped - peppers, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, whatever's needing used up.
Frozen mixed veggies (the kind with peas, carrots, corn & beans but if you've already chopped a lot of fresh ones, you can skip the frozen)
1 egg
soy sauce
Stir-fry (brown) sauce - I use House of Tsang Classic Stir Fry Sauce
Lightly salted peanuts or cashews

First, you need the rice. I make brown rice (1-1/2 cups raw brown rice, 3 cups water, and a little peanut oil, takes about 45 min to simmer on the stove), but you can use whatever kind you like.

Once you have your rice... Heat up a big skillet on med/high heat (this goes really fast, maybe 5 min or so). Put in a little peanut oil, and fry the meat. As it cooks, add the onion. Once the onion starts to get translucent, add garlic and other fresh veggies. Keep it all moving. Once the veggies are hot, add frozen veggies, keep stirring and flipping. Once they're steamy, clear out a bit of space in the middle of the skillet. If it's 'dry', add a little more oil there and give it a bit to heat up. Add egg.  Let it cook for a few seconds then start scrambling it in the skillet. Mix with veggies and meat. Soy sauce to taste (about 5 or so big dashes for us). Dump in the rice, and some of the stir fry sauce (a couple tablespoons or so, but I just dump it in). Keep stirring. Should be all brown and sizzly and yummy smelling. Toss in a handful or two of peanuts, and more soy sauce if needed. Stir peanuts in and remove from heat.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure hubby won't eat this one, but I love fried rice and didn't have an easy recipe. I think this one will work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried rice is freaking awesome! {{huggs}} I wish your hubby was more open to trying new foods. Experimentation is such FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprisingly, when I showed him the site and asked if there was anything he'd be interested in, he picked this -- with the caveat that we use popcorn shrimp. Who knew? I'm looking for popcorn shrimp, but today, I'm making some just for me -- probably with a little of that pork loin roast from yesterday, but I love plain ole vegetable fried rice.

    ReplyDelete