Friday, July 16, 2010

Broiled Sammiches

Our local grocery store will sometimes make focaccia bread - not always, dang them! - and when they *do* I try to pick up a loaf to make these sandwiches. We all think they're pretty darn yummy. I've never measured any amounts, so just go with how ever much you like. :)

1 Focaccia Loaf
Ranch dressing (or other creamy salad dressing)
Shaved Ham
Shaved Turkey
Thinly Sliced or Shredded White Cheese (we usually use Mozzarella or an Italian Blend)
Thinly Sliced or Shredded Yellow Cheese (Sharp Cheddar, Colby Jack, etc)
1 Sliced Tomato
1/4 to 1/2 Sliced Red Onion
Shredded Lettuce
Any other sliced sandwich veggies you might like (cucumbers, green peppers, etc)
Italian (or other oily) dressing

Make sure ALL veggies are ready to go before starting because this cooks really fast.

Turn on your broiler and let your oven get nice and hot. Slice the focaccia in half crosswise, creating a top half and a bottom half. Place cut sides up on a heavy cooking sheet or broil pan. Brush with Ranch Dressing. Layer Shaved Ham on one half, Shaved Turkey on the other. Put a handful or two of yellow cheese on the ham side, spreading it out to cover, white cheese on the turkey side. Place in broiler until cheese is melty and bubbly (this only takes a minute or two). Remove from broiler.

Place bottom half on cutting board. Layer with Tomatoes, Lettuce, Onions, etc. Drizzle Italian Dressing over veggies. Put the top half of the bread/meat/cheese on top. Cut into 8 wedges. I usually serve this with potato chips and melon hunks. :)

** I've also made this with pepperonis and mushrooms (I put the mushrooms on the cheese before broiling so they cook a little), and shaved roast beef instead of turkey or ham. It's a great sandwich!**

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this one. Hubby might even like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby wasn't interested in trying, so I tried it tonight. I forgot to put the Italian dressing on, and I didn't wait until the oven was hot enough to "crisp" the bread, but it was good.

    It's way too much for one person, so I'll have lunch for a couple of days now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can't find focaccia (I have to drive 40 miles to get it), this works just as well on other types of bread. I'm thinking about giving it a try on the No Knead Garlic Cheese Flatbread. The straight flatbread is a little moist, but I'm thinking a little time in the broiler might "stiffen" it up a little.

    ReplyDelete