Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Skillet Macaroni Supper

Skillet Mac with Ham, Peas, Swiss Cheese, and Mrs Dash
I have to admit that as much as I love to cook, sometimes I'm lazy. Sometimes I'm busy. Heck, sometimes I simply don't want to trash the kitchen by experimenting or creating a million-ingredient extravaganza. Plus I have a family of simple tastes (sigh) so, sometimes, I make super easy tummy filling food, like skillet macaroni, which is adapted (slightly) from Kraft's Everyday Easy Macaroni Dinners.

Btw, I am really bummed that I had to go all the way to Canada to get an official link for that recipe.

Anyway, like Kraft says, it's EASY, and it all happens in a big skillet.

Cook about a cup of whatever meat that you're using in the skillet (chopped to bite-size or smaller). I've used fresh chicken breast, I've used leftover cooked chicken. I've used ham, tuna, ground beef, shrimp, leftover pork, and even sliced hot dogs. Seriously. Anything works. Use a little oil if you need it, skip it if you don't. Salt and pepper to taste, if you normally salt and pepper while cooking meat.

As it cooks, toss in a cup or two of chopped whatever-sounds-good out of the veggie crisper. Fresh corn, sliced carrots, frozen peas, broccoli, mushrooms, whatever veggie makes you smile. You can also used canned (drained) veggies, dibs and dabs of leftovers... This is great for using stuff up. If the veggies are already cooked, add them with the step below. :)

Once the meat's cooked (and the veggies are no longer raw) add 2 cups of water, 2 cups of elbow (or other small) macaroni, a cup of milk, and a tablespoon or so of butter. Get 'er boiling and turn down the heat to a simmer. Stir every min or so to keep the milk from scorching. Cook until pretty much all of the liquid is absorbed and the macaroni is done. It'll take, oh, about 10 - 12 min, or so.

Add about a teaspoon of some savory spice/herb you like (garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, italian seasoning, Mrs. Dash, whatever) and 2 cups of shredded cheese. Again, whatever kind you like, cheddar, swiss, mozarella, colby-jack... Stir in the cheese and spices until it's all well mixed and the cheese is melty, and you're done. I usually serve it with melon (Bill loves melon), salad, and hot bread.

It's yummy, simple, quick, and doesn't trash the kitchen. We almost never have leftovers.

Laura's favorite blend is chicken, canned tomatoes, italian cheese and garlic. Bill seems to like ham, mushrooms, peas, and cheddar (with a little oregano) best. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you suggest alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jean! I love using up what's on sale and in season so there are lots of things I make that use pretty much whatever's on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one I'm relatively sure I can make and hubby will eat it.

    ReplyDelete