Friday, April 22, 2011

Cake Mix Cookies

I have a confession to make.

I hate decorating cookies. And cakes. And most anything else.

Maybe hate is too strong a word, but every year, at Christmas, I make these 'big plans' for my holiday baking and every year there are sugar cookies and bites with sprinkles and frosting and candies and whatnot, and I tell myself - every darn year - that this time it'll be different. I will roll out the dough, I will use cookie cutters, and I will carefully place those mini gumdrops (or whatever) but, ya know what? Every year I make drop cookies and bar cookies and smooshed cookies and other yummies that require zero decoration.

Apparently, I'm not froo froo or fussy. And I'm mostly cool with that.

Until Vanessa posted her take on Cake Cookies with Sprinkles.

Look at that! Decorated cookies without the fuss or the mess! I'd tried cake mix cookies before - some crazy thing using devil's food - and didn't like them, but these looked fabulous. Finding cake mix on sale this week, I just had to give them a try. They're super simple, and super awesome.

All you need:

1 white cake mix
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup oil
Candy sprinkles

Heat oven to 350˚ and combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon. (I suppose you could use a stand mixer for this, but why? It only takes a minute or so by hand). Dump some candy sprinkles in a small bowl (and, if you're not like me, please remember to put the lid back on BEFORE you set the bottle on the counter so you don't accidentally knock it over and have a flood of sprinkles dance everywhere like I did). Scoop up about a teaspoon or so of dough and roll into a ball (trust me, it helps to flour your hands) and dip one side of the ball into the sprinkles. Place these super cute little morsels sprinkle-side-up about an inch or so apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper) and bake for 15 min.

Aren't they CUTE?!?!?

I thought 15 minutes sounded like a loooooong time for little cookies, but it was perfect! Don't let them get brown, because they lose their super soft succulent awesomeness.

This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies (I got 49) and despite giving about a dozen and a half to my neighbors, the guys totally gobbled up the rest during our game night last night. That's right, zero left! All for the cost of a cake mix and some staples.

Super Easy, Super YUM!!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'm not fond of sprinkles, but I'll bet a cinnamon-sugar mix would work just as well (I'm even less enamored of cookie decorating).

    Those look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. They'd be like Snickerdoodles!!

    ReplyDelete