Friday, January 14, 2011

Simply Awesome Meatloaf!!!

My meatloaf used to be messy and, frankly, inconsistent. Sometimes the crackers would absorb more than others, sometimes it would fall apart, sometimes it would seem gushy, sometimes bland or pasty or whatever.

I guess the old stereotype of calling meatloaf 'mystery meat' applied.

Then I changed the way I make meatloaf, and it's pretty much always awesome now! And there are no sticky/greasy hands!

You need:
1 gallon sized zip-lock type of bag
2 eggs
2 lbs ground beef (I like ground chuck or the 85% ish lean variety, but any will do, even ground turkey)
1 box of Stuffing Mix (StoveTop or the store brand equivalent - Chicken flavor works best for us, but they all work well.)
1 cup water
1/4 cup or so of sauce plus a bit more (we like barbeque sauce best, but spaghetti sauce, taco sauce, pizza sauce, ketchup, all work great!)
A 9 x 13 inch baking pan

Heat oven to 375˚.

Open the bag and crack both eggs into it. Smoosh around a bit to 'scramble' the eggs. Add everything else (I eyeball the amount of sauce and surely put in more than 1/4 cup. Yum!), push out the air and seal the bag. Roll, smoosh, poke, and otherwise mash the stuff inside until it's all mixed well. Squeeze into baking pan and form into an oval 'loaf' shape (I actually use a big spoon for this so my hands don't get gross). Dribble on some more sauce and bake for about an hour.


Super Yummy Stuff. Serve with whatever you like with your meatloaf - Bill's partial to mashed potatoes, gravy and a green veggie. The leftovers make great sammiches.

As I type this, I'm thinking that ground turkey with Alfredo sauce might be yummy! I think I'll try that next week! :)

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of stuffing mix. My mom always used oatmeal in hers, and I like that. I do like your preparation method, though. No messy hands!

    My recipe calls for 3/4 cup oats (for 1.5 lbs ground beef), so for 2 lbs, 1 cup would probably be more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete